Saturday, September 12, 2009

Stark warning issued to inmates of Bahdobian's prisons

From the local press section.

Various Bahdobian residents, locals and expatriates alike, have the same message for those who find themselves incarcerated here – if you don't like it, leave.

Ali M, a Bahdobian passport holder, told the Herald that he is tired of prisoners complaining about their situation.

'They get food, accommodation, exercise and healthcare, every day, every year, all for free. Still, however, they complain. If they don't like it, they should just go back to their home country,' he grumbled. 'What more do they want? If their home countries were nice, they'd elect to go to prison there, so why come here and complain all the time?'

An expat who simply gave his name as 'Omar', describing himself as a professional contributor to ArabianBusiness.com's comments section, echoed Mr M's views.

'I for one am ready to help them pack their bags and drive them to the airport myself. They are just jealous of Bahdobian's success and expect an easy life in return for no effort,' he told this reporter. 'I will drive down there tomorrow, if asked, just to help them break out so that I can stop listening to them doing this place down,' he offered, fairly.

David Pringle, a long-term British resident of Bahdobian, had the following to say. 'The UK's prisons are full to bursting. If prisoners here aren't happy, they should see what they'd have to put up with at Wormword Scrubs, London's leading jail,' he opined. 'Some Brits come over here simply to commit crimes just so they can enjoy a bit of luxury chokey here in Bahdobian. Those inmates who are complaining should simply pack and go home to make room for people who appreciate what prison here has to offer,' he added.

The Herald used visiting hours at the local clink to see how prisoners would respond to accusations that they were a bunch of whingeing malingerers who should like their situation – or lump it.

Prisoner 8232, originally from Peshawar, told this reporter that he was quite happy where he was. 'I'm serving 16 years for reversing my truck into a lamp post', he said. 'I'm quite happy here though. I have what I need to live and even though I earn only a little money in the prison workhouse, I am still able to send some money back to my family.'

Other prisoners, many from the sub-continent, echoed 8232's thoughts, but did not realise they had a choice in the matter.

'I thought I was here for the next 18 months and had to put up with whatever was dished out to me,' said one lag, currently serving a short sentence for brutally beheading a relative. 'If I could leave, I probably would. To be frank, however, I would prefer to serve my sentence out, but just with a few more home comforts.'

Not all the prisoners we spoke to were of the same mind, however.

Jacques Dupont, a former corporate spy for the Association of French Garlic Farmers, was working in the prison's submarine building workshop when approached by the Herald. Dupont is serving the last few weeks of his sentence for embezzling government funds earmarked for a factory making stripey shirts and bicycles, but has no patience to wait for the parole board to review his case. 'I don't want to be here any more,' he shrugged. 'And I'm taking steps to change that. I could wait a couple of weeks till my hearing, but have other plans,' he offered, before leaning towards this reporter and winking conspiratorially. 'By next week I will be out of here, having escaped dressed as a woman, swum to Mumbai and started a new life selling my memoirs to the world'.

Prison authorities were unavailable for official comment.

1 comment: